There are two types of people in the world: the type that look forward to holidays and start preparing for them weeks in advance, and the type that avoid the hype all together. I, personally, 100% fall into the first category. To put it into perspective, as soon as I see the first leaves start to turn I’m breaking out the Fall candles, brainstorming Christmas gifts, and planning my outfit for New Years. And naturally a big part of the holidays is the food, and for me specifically, the baking. Unfortunately, cupcakes and pies don’t have the same shelf life of garlands and presents so you can’t exactly bake a week in advance to avoid future time crunches. This doesn’t mean, however, that you have to do everything at your get-together or even the day of. So to make my fellow baker’s lives a little easier (and their gracious host and hostesses), here are some great options for desserts that are easy to make beforehand or finish off at your holiday shindig.
- Oreo Balls – These last for at least a week so you can make them WELL in advance
- Cupcakes – Make your cakes a day or two in advance and keep them in the fridge until the day of your event and then make/frost the cakes at the event
- Cookies – Make your dough ahead of time and then break apart and bake them at the event
- Strawberry Shortcake – Make your shortcakes and strawberries ahead of time and whip up your cream at the event
- Crumbles / Pies – Assemble your crumble/pie ahead of time and pop it in the oven at the event
- Ice box cake – Make this a day ahead to chill over night, and there is no assembly required!