A clean home is a happy home. And while I’m the first to admit that I’m not always enthralled by the idea of tidying up my place, there are a few tasks I do make a little time for before relaxing after a long day out and about. Here are some tips for tidying cleaning up your space and making your house feel more like a home.
- Always make your bed and your couches after getting up – While making your bed may seem obvious and also something that seems super tedious and somewhat pointless, there’s something so nice about getting into a made bed at the end of the day. Same goes for a nicely arranged couch! I’m always more likely to lounge on my couch if it looks clean and inviting.
- Put your keys and coat away as soon as you get home – Putting away my keys and coat as soon as I walk in the door saves me the trouble of looking for them later. I’ve found that I’m also a lot less likely to start piling things on top my bed if I’ve never thrown my jacket on top of it to start with which saves me time getting into bed later.
- Clean out your wardrobe once every 3-6 months – My rule of thumb is if an article of clothing doesn’t bring you joy or you haven’t worn it in over a year, give it, donate it, sell it, or toss it.
- Switch out seasonal pieces – I have specific throws, candles, and plants I like to purchase for different seasons. A little variety between seasons makes the coming of the new one a little more exciting and inviting for guests.
- Always have a source of sound – Whether it’s the tv playing in the background, a playlist you’ve put together, or even the kettle going, I always feel cozier when I’m not sitting in complete silence. Noise fills up a room and makes me feel more at home.