In two weeks I’ll be visiting my friends in New York for the 5th time this year and while this may seem like a lot of visits, it averaged out to seeing one of my best friends about once every month and a half with the times that she visited Boston. And while we may be getting more comfortable housing the other for weekends at a time, our house guest routines have very much improved over time. Here are some of the rules I go by when staying at one of my friends places:
- Thou shalt never show up empty handed. Wine, flowers, or any small token of appreciation is always a must. Note- You do not have to bring said gift with you, but some time during the stay one may be purchased and gifted to the host/hostess.
- Thou shalt keep their luggage and belongings in one area so as not to overwhelm their host with their things.
- Thou shalt always bring their own phone charger.
- Thou shalt always make their bed the next morning, or put away their pull out bed.
- Thou shalt always ask if you can go into a different bedroom/private area before entering in case they have stuff that they do not want you to walk into.
- Thou shalt offer to help with any and all meals prepared at the place of residence.
- Thou shalt get out of bed and start the day when the host/hostess gets out of bed unless previously discussed.
- Thou shalt not assume that you can use all their toiletries and bring your own (shampoo, cream rinse, toothpaste, etc.)
- Thou shalt clean up space upon exiting the residence and make it look like you were never there.
- Thou shalt always text/call the host/hostess upon return home to say that you got home safe and thank them again.
I hope these help and happy house guesting!